Tuesday, July 10, 2012

You Say Potato...I say Tomato?

In the classic film, Shall We Dance, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers sing Gershwin's "Let's Call the Whole Thing Off." Remember? You like po-TAY-toes and I like po-TAH-toes?  

That song immediately popped into my head the other night when Ashley found a potato (we say po-TAY-toh here at Okra Hill) plant with what we thought was a tomato on top. We pulled the potatoes up a long time ago so finding this plant was a surprise to start with!



How crazy...Did we have some garden miracle on our hands? Did I need to call Clemson Extension Service or the Making It Grow show? 

As it turns out, we don't have a miracle or even something that unusual...The small cherry tomato-type fruit on the plant is actually the fruit of a potato plant. You can read more here if you're interested (I was!). The bottom line is don't eat the little green "tomato" on the potato plant because it is toxic to humans. I'll be going out tomorrow to pick it off so our picker isn't harvesting it for his garden snack. On a side note, we did enjoy our first two figs today on our small tree near the chicken barn. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment