Friday, November 2, 2012

Fun at the Fair

A few weeks ago, the South Carolina State Fair opened. Since we live near the capital city, we always try to go. Last year was my first time entering goods into the fair and I won two blue ribbons (dill pickles and molasses-ginger cookies) and one second place (brownies). Though it may seem silly to some people, I really am proud of my ribbons. As a stay-at-home mama, I don't receive much outside recognition for the work I do around the house so the ribbons in my pantry remind me that I do know what I'm doing sometimes! All that said, I entered 6 things into the fair this year: dill pickles, pickled beets, strawberry jam, brownies, molasses-ginger cookies (these go in the "drop cookie" category), an apron, a bag and a pillow. 

My dill pickles won blue again this year.

My pickled beets also won a first prize!

As did my molasses-ginger cookie. We all love looking at these old cases filled with baked goods. It's neat to think about all the folks who have entered things over the years. So three blue ribbons (and $19 in prize money...I'll be sure to not spend it all in one place..ha!) for Okra Hill Farm. 

Seeing the exhibits is always a highlight but this year we chose to take the boys on some of the amusement rides. All five members of our family rode the Ferris wheel (the baby is riding in my front carrier). 

The view from the top of the Ferris wheel--that's Williams Brice stadium in the background, where the University of South Carolina Gamecocks play. 


Our 2 year old and 4 year old had their first ride on a few other kiddie rides. 


A few days after the fair concluded, I had to go back to the fairgrounds to pick up everything and my blue ribbons. Here's a little photo shoot of these two winners (I threw the cookies away because they were hard as bricks after being on display for almost two weeks). 

 Fair season always signals the beginning of fall and we're certainly having fall now--the leaves are changing and we've had blustery winds all week. More later on the goodness growing in the garden. 

2 comments:

  1. You deserve lots of blue ribbons for the good work you do as a mama! Congrats, again, on being officially recognized for your yummy cooking/homemaking skills. We didn't make it to the fair this year, but thanks for making me appreciate it for more than just the rides and fatty foods. I grew up going to the WV State Fair where livestock was the big attraction, but last year I enjoyed all the displays and exhibits a lot more knowing that the SC judges have good taste in pickles, molasses-ginger cookies, and brownies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the ribbons!! That's fantastic! Looks like a wonderful time. :)

    ReplyDelete