Monday, November 5, 2012

Pumpkin Pancakes for Fall

It's fall on our hill. With the winds of last week, the trees' leaves are steadily falling. Our chickens are molting. And there's a crispness to the air that we don't get to experience for very long in South Carolina. 
Our house is looking very settled in now.

And since it's fall, it's time for all things pumpkin. Saturday I roasted a pumpkin we had grown (volunteer) and stored the pumpkin puree in the fridge. 

Back when I was pregnant with my second son, Ashley's cousin Martin invited us over for breakfast one morning. He made the best pancakes, which motivated me to try to learn how to make pancakes (in the past mine would burn, be too dense or not flavorful). I'm been making the White Lily pancake recipe with consistently good results. This morning I used that recipe with tips from King Arthur Flour on how to make pumpkin pancakes.

Here's my Pumpkin Pancake recipe (updated 10-4-2013):
1 1/4 c self-rising flour (I'm excited about the SRF from KAF --will order some soon)
2 T sugar
1/4 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. ginger
dash of nutmeg
* Whisk these in a bowl.

In separate bowl, combine:
1 c milk (less if your pumpkin puree is more watery)
1/2 c. pumpkin (you can use canned or roasted, depending on what you have)
1 egg, slightly beaten
Dash of vanilla extract

Add milk mixture to flour mixture. Whisk together. I made the pancakes on my griddle, the temperature between 325 and 350. I loved them, as did the boys (especially since I made them in Mickey Mouse/bear shapes).


No comments:

Post a Comment