Sunday, March 29, 2015

Spring 2015

Spring has rolled into Okra Hill. Ashley has planted our spring garden, which includes lettuce, peas, carrots, broccoli and kale in the raised beds. 

On the other side, we'll have corn (this year Ashley is trying a new pattern, with the corn running  in short vertical rows on the far side). Potatoes are on the right. We'll also have cucumbers, okra and tomatoes here. 

Our chickens have been great producers lately. We have 16 hens and regularly gather 12-14 eggs each day. 

Notice the small box with yellow duct tape on it in the lower left corner inside the chicken house? Inside is a rat trap. A week or so ago, I went in to the chicken house and heard scurrying above my head. I saw a RAT! Eeek! So I did what any sensible person would do...I got a rat trap (this was after I fired 3 shots at the rat with the .22--I could have sworn I hit him but he ran off). 

The grass greening up makes everything appear ready for a growing season. The blackberries (on the left) have green leaves emerging. 

I pruned the grapes and the blueberries are loaded with blossoms. That's Emmet, one of our puppies we got in September after our Max, our 12 year old rat terrier disappeared. Emmet is a Mountain Feist. His best friend is Heidi, a Carolina Curr. They're great puppies/dogs--and LOVE barking at squirrels (and birds and anything else that moves in a tree). 

Happy days to y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment