Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Puffed-Oven Pancake: A Favorite Way to Use Eggs

The girls are averaging around 4 eggs a day since arriving a week ago. We're not a "hot breakfast every morning" kind of family (usually just on the weekends) so we're not eating all of these eggs every day. I do like to cook and bake; however, and one of my favorite ways to use up eggs is to make a Puffed-Oven Pancake (or German Pancake or Dutch Baby, depending on the recipe name). My go-to recipe is in my Better Homes & Gardens plaid cookbook, 12th edition, page 129. 

Puffed Oven Pancake
2 T butter
3 eggs
1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c milk
1/4 t salt

Preheat oven to 400 F. Place butter in 10-inch oven-proof skillet and place in oven until butter melts. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, use a wire whisk to beat eggs until combined, then add flour, milk and salt. Beat until mixture is smooth. Immediately pour into hot skillet. Bake 20-25 minutes until puffed and well-browned. 



Then, take the pancake out of the pan, dust with powdered sugar and top with fresh fruit. It's strawberry time around here so we've been eating our's with strawberries. Another favorite is peaches with blueberries. You can be proper and cut it up with a fork but I like to roll mine up (notice how this picture is of my partially eaten pancake--ha!). 



My cousin, her husband and twin girls visited us this past weekend and I made 3 pancakes for us to enjoy (usually my family eats 2). Nine eggs gobbled up just like that and I wasn't slaving over a griddle and missing out on eating with the family. Yum!

And because we recently celebrated Easter, I wanted to share another egg creation...this Rice Krispy treat egg Ashley made. We made the rice krispy treats the usual way (marshmallows, rice krispies, butter in the microwave) and then sprayed Pam inside one of the boys large plastic eggs. Ashley braved the stickiness and stuffed the egg full and then we popped out 6 of these delicious treats!



Note: All the recipes I feature on the Okra Hill Farm blog are listed on the Favorite Recipes page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment